This course equips learners in developing a personal understanding of the effects of stress, loss, trauma and grief on others, with emphasis on self-care and personal protection. Learners will be introduced to the Red Cross Look, Listen, Link, Live model – a resiliency-building approach to emotional, psychological, and social well-being that teaches learners how to support themselves and others to cope with the effects of various types of stress. The course uses primarily case-based learning and includes the latest evidence from the international community.
Note for Course Participants
While mental health first aid programs teach how to help someone experiencing a mental health emergency, Red Cross Psychological First Aid is a resiliency-based program for everyone that offers prevention and coping strategies for dealing with different types of stress resulting from various types of trauma.
Psychological First Aid is about taking care of yourself – your thoughts, feelings and emotions – and then being there for family and friends when they are having difficulty coping.
Learn how to anticipate stress whenever possible and equip yourself with the skillset to practice self-care and to provide care for others during times of stress, crisis or trauma.
Note: Unlike mental health first aid, which trains people to help someone during a mental health emergency, Red Cross Psychological First Aid teaches you how to build up resiliency to stress and establish coping strategies.
SELF-CARE AND CARING FOR OTHERS
Two Psychological First Aid courses are available online to learn at your own pace: Self-Care and Caring for Others. Complete both the Self-Care and Caring for Others courses for a well-rounded approach to psychological first aid and wellness.
IN THESE COURSES YOU’LL LEARN:
- How to anticipate stress and crisis whenever possible.
- The effects of stress, loss, trauma, and grief.
- How to build and use a personal self-care plan.
- The skill-set to practice self-care and to provide care for others during difficult times.
- How to access the various specialized supports that are available to anyone experiencing distress.
These courses are for:
- Anyone interested in self-care practices that promote psychological wellbeing, including professional responders, people in the workplace, and youth (must be 14 years of age and older, adult support recommended for younger audiences).
At the end of these courses, you will complete a knowledge evaluation and receive an electronic certificate of completion.
90 minutes online learning and 7 hours in-class.
Psychological First Aid Instructor
Course is adaptable to all audiences (Youth, Workplace, Professional Responder)
COURSE DATES, TIMES, REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT
Please click on the course you wish to register for below, and follow the online instructions. We now offer online registration and payment for most of our courses.
Psychological First Aid - Canadian Red Cross
- 16 years of age (recommended)
- Psychological First Aid – Self-Care online course
- Successfully participate in 100% of the in-class course
- Successfully complete the online course: Psychological First Aid – Self-Care
3-year certification in Psychological First Aid
Case-based learning and discussion will be tailored to the audience and include the following content:
- Introduction to Red Cross
- Case Studies
- Psychological First Aid
- Operational Principles
- Stress, Distress
- Loss and Grief
- Vulnerable Populations
- Supportive Communication
- Look, Listen, Link, Live
- Resiliency and Protective Factors
- Policies, Legislation
- Psychological First Aid Workbook (print)
- Look, Listen, Link, Live cards
- Psychological First Aid–Self-Care online course (required for blended option)
- Psychological First Aid–Caring for Others online course (optional)